To be very honest I have no idea where the idea of choosing one word for the year stems from. I have been choosing a theme for many years – as early in life as my high school years. I somehow abandoned the idea while in the UK and only a couple of years ago revisited and adopted it for myself.
HERE ARE SOME OF THE WORDS I’VE CHOSEN OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF YEARS:
IT SEEMS LIKE CHOOSING ONE WORD FOR THE YEAR IS SUPPOSE TO HELP YOU FOCUS ON MAINTAINING A GOAL OR RESOLUTION BY KEEPING THINGS SIMPLE.
I am not so sure about that – I seem to like going over the top! Perhaps that is just me.
If you’re up for some reading, there are a couple of places that explains the significance of choosing one word and some helpful ideas:
- #OneWord365 is a whole community of word choosing people.
- Ali Edwards has a lovely little video on her website and offers workshops with monthly prompts to help you achieve those goals.
I’m going to keep going the way I have been for the past couple of years, build on past foundations and focus on planning with gratitude –> see what I did there?
MY WORD FOR THE YEAR | RISE & SHINE
Technically Rise & Shine isn’t a single word and I could break it down to simply shine. But in order to shine, you need to rise and so the two goes hand in hand. And really if there is anything you ought to know about me, is that I have a love for ampersands.
Here’s some nitty-gritties that makes me feel really proud, all things considered:
- I have created a vision board with a twist. It’s up in my kitchen and I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
- My home management binder for the year is very different. It is complete and ready for 2016. I have combined a traditional calendar with a traditional filing system, right in one place. Post on it’s own really.
- My 2016 diary has been bought. It isn’t the Snoopy diary I was bragging about. Instead it is a Typo diary that screams my word for the year or at least half of it.
- I’m such a nerd and I have no shame about it!
One last thing on the execution of the word, Amber from Mr Thomas & Me, has decided to give each month of the year a focus-item. Something to help her be practical about her word. I like the idea. A lot. But I haven’t started thinking about ways to be practical about rising or shining. Perhaps being present and attentive to what is happening in my immediate environment and rising for every opportunity is enough.
Perhaps I’ll revisit the idea in the future.