Who am I kidding, I will settle for buying a guitar and learning how to play. I have however been pondering a couple of things related to the starting of a band, making music and being the coolest mom on the block!
I attended a parenting course a couple of years ago. The guy presenting the course mentioned that he started a band with his kids because he wanted to have something he could do with them. Naturally he took what they were interested in (band) and became an expert in the field.
- Logan hasn’t mentioned any intentions of starting a band – but I am sure he would love a set of drums after I have sound proofed the, um garage?
- His second reason for creating a band, was to create a space where his kids and their friends would want to hang out. This is a biggie for me – I would much rather have the whole neighbourhood’s kids hanging out at my house than not knowing where my kids are!
- I would rather know what is going on in my kids’ life than not knowing. This is the plan (a) pick up bits and pieces of the conversations they are having (b) having their friends confide tidbits of what is happening in their lives and (c) having possible “enemies” really close.
The coolest mom:
A couple of months ago I read my twitter bio and got very depressed. I literally defined myself by the roles I have. I was no longer Alet. I was a mold occupying the roles of mom, wife, friend, colleague, student and daughter, etc. The sad part is, I am not doing anyone – least of all my husband and boys – a favour by being less than me. Somewhere in the past couple of months I decided I would make an effort to rediscover myself. I made an effort for find the quirky person that loved being different, that loved doing something upstream and out of the norm.
I decided that I would make an effort to stand out. My aim is simply to be as brave as Logan and as giddy as Oliver. I made a promise to myself to try new things and to be open to new experiences.
Here are a couple of things I have been up to:
- One of the first things I did was to get a haircut I would never have had the guts for in the past. After building enough courage by staring & pinning millions of pinterest pictures, I went to my hairdresser and had an undercut shaved. And guess what, I love it!
- I am wearing bold prints and funny cuts of clothing. Man, I have even bought a pair of skinny jeans!
- Instead of sticking to the same boring frame that suits my face, I went and tried a frame that is fun, fashionable and funky.
- Capoeira. I have posted about it before and it is something Logan and I talks about pretty often. Soon!
I am sure I could add a bunch of other things to this list – things that I can’t even think of right now. What I can say, is that I am really looking forward to this journey of discovery of self-discovery. Here is a question for you – what do you do to keep your “roles” from overpowering the inner you?