A couple of weeks ago, Nicola Tweed, the mastermind behind The WordPress Workspace blog, announced that I am the winner of the Jumpstart Your Website Package.
I was beyond thrilled. See I have been drooling over pretty child themes that would allow me to take my blog to the next level. Winning the Jumpstart Package has helped me achieved just that!
Jumpstart Your Website Package
The ‘jumpstart your website package‘ is designed for anyone in need of a professional website, set up fast! And when I say fast, it really means, you can have a website within 24 hours!
The package includes:
- A domain name and hosting for 3 months
- A professional theme to suits your brand
- The installation of all the plugins you need for your website and a nifty “Coming Soon” landing page.
Because I didn’t have a need for a new website at the moment, I thought of giving this little old blog a bit of a revamp! Just because it desperately needed it.
Choosing a Theme
I love themes and fonts and all things pretty! So choosing one of the available themes proved to be a really hard task for me! In the end, I had the themes narrowed down to (1.) Simply Pro, (2.) Captivating and (3.) Olivia.
The top slider and use of colours won me over and I decided to have Captivating install! I love the minimalist and clean look of both Simply Pro and Olivia – but let’s be honest – I love colour and pattern and playing around with colours!
What I have Learned from the Experience
I have been blogging for a really long time, and I have changed themes plenty of times. But there is always something new to be learned and I learned a whole bunch of things while playing around with the Captivating theme.
- There is always something to learn. When Nicola said – “do you want me to set up the demo content” I was confident I’d be fine without it! Boy, did I give myself a challenge, but at least I enjoyed it. Thankfully Restored 316, the developer of the Captivating theme, has so many resources available to assist you during the process, that it makes life so much easier.
- I also found the using the #restored316captivating Instagram hashtag gave me a couple of examples where the theme was used and how they specific blogger made use of the theme features.
- It is time to really re-evaluate where I am going with this blog. What I am doing isn’t bad, but it could be so much more if, I take the time to explore what I want in the long term.
- Newsletters are important! Let’s be honest, I have never thought of starting a newsletter. But at least I have opened an account with MailChimp and I am reading up and widening my horizons.
- Subscribing to Nicola’s newsletter gave me access to her Free ‘Online in 30 Minutes’ WordPress course. I worked through the course and found it extremely helpful. So even if you are an existing blogger, take the time and work through her recommendations!
The fact that my career goals aren’t working out as planned if forcing me to look at other options. Maybe, all the #BossGirl makes me think further than I have been in quite a while.
Have you thought of where your little blog is going? Have you thought of turning it into a little business? Please share your thought process with me?