The lifestyle challenge was birthed out of a need for change. After five years of marriage, I found myself separated and in desperate need to rediscover who I am when I’m not someone’s wife or mother. My story and what lead to the lifestyle challenge as it is today can be found by clicking here.
If you find yourself wondering what the lifestyle challenge is and why you should attempt for yourself, this is the post for you. Grab a cup of coffee and a notebook and start the process of recovery by discovering you.
What is the Lifestyle Challenge?
The lifestyle challenge is a challenge designed to change your lifestyle to consciously find or rediscover yourself after a trauma, nervous breakdown or divorce.
Why would you want to participate?
Often we find ourselves stuck in a rut after a massive life event. You want to change, you want to move on, but lack the guidance to achieve those goals. We all sometimes need a hand to guide us through the steps to get where we desperately want to be. I was overwhelmed by the loose ends in my life and my way of tying those loose ends was by consciously practising the below steps.
How do you go about it?
We are all unique, we fear different things. We hide from these fears in different ways. How we achieve our goal of rediscovering ourselves will naturally differ in practice. Luckily the steps to achieving our goals will stay more or less the same. Here are the basics:
1. Identify your fear
2. Identify your weaknesses or coping mechanisms. ( food, exercise, alcohol, sleep, destructive patterns, etc)
3. Answer the question: “What would knowing myself look like?”
- Would it mean carrying myself with confidence in a crowd?
- Would it mean I’d finally be at peace, on my own, with my own presence?
- Does it mean being comfortable with silence
- Or finally comfortable in my own skin/ naked in from of the mirror?
- Am I finally nourished and looked after?
- Or perhaps bold and outspoken?
Every month for 12 months you need to consciously decide to:
1. Nurture – nurture yourself in a new and unique way
2. Step out of your comfort zone and do something bold or out of the ordinary
3. Find something productive or creative to do – something that will positively change your life
4. Form a new habit
5. Reflect and become quiet. Find time to be comfortable with yourself, alone.